Happy Box is Growing!
We are an e-commerce curated gift box company, featured in Brit+Co, OprahMag.com, BRIDES, and more. Founded by two sisters, Happy Box Store believes that giving the perfect gift should be as happy of an experience as receiving one. We hope to deliver a little more “happy” to the world by making it easier to celebrate any moment with gifts built specific to each recipient. Our customers pick a box, pick a variety of gifts, and pick a card, and their gift gets sent directly to their recipient’s door. We buy a large majority of our products from other female-owned and local businesses, so our customers know they are supporting great businesses when they buy from us. Our warehouse/HQ is located in mid-town Hoboken, NJ.
The Assistant Buyer will be responsible for proactively securing, negotiating for, and managing gift inventory entirely in order to achieve sales and margin targets.
- Proactively networks with Happy Box current and prospective vendors regarding available merchandise and will negotiate directly on purchases. This includes frequent phone calls, emails, selecting product and handling negotiations, either independently or in conjunction with the founders.
- Sets the overall inventory and buying strategy based on sales projections and key business moments/needs.
- Manages the entire buying responsibility from negotiating, purchase, invoice and payment management, and inventory delivery process.
- Manages all communication with partners and vendors; builds relationships
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility in negotiating for goods to offset additional costs of storing merchandise
- Provides analysis and reporting of buying, stock, and inventory including weekly wrap up reports and other ad-hoc analysis/reporting
- Shops trends and retail to identify opportunities
- Communicates with fulfillment staff.
- Monitors and tracks inventory, including shipping delays from carrier or supplier,
- Open line of communication with both Happy Box team and vendors to ensure all inventory is received and accounted for and to coordinate replacing damaged goods
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Requires a minimum of 3-5 years retail merchandising buying experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- Must have vendor negotiation and interaction experience.
- Strong project management skills, meets deadlines, is proactive and solutions-oriented.
- Experience with opportunistic buying preferred.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Ability to partner and influence vendors/cross-functional partners.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong retail math skills.
- Strong PC skills, with an emphasis on spreadsheet applications.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to perform duties with minimal supervision
We believe giving the perfect gift should be as happy of an experience as receiving one. We hope to deliver a little more “happy” to the world by making it easier to celebrate any moment with gifts built specific to each recipient.
Happy Box Values
- Do business happy, no matter what. That means with our employees, clients, vendors, partners, and our mailman, Gary.
- Shine light on the creativity and talent of others. We buy gift products from companies and people we believe in, supporting various mission-based and women-owned businesses.
- There is value “off the path." We will continue our spirit of innovation and customer centricity and take the right way, not necessarily the easy way as we grow.
*If interested in the assistant buyer role, please include a resume and cover letter stating why you're interested in this role, our brand/business, and how your previous experience will be relevant.
Submit Your Application
You have successfully applied
- You have errors in applying